Sunday, February 8, 2009
Chapter 2 Assignments - Part 3 (Due by Feb. 27)
Assignment 4: Legal issues are now very common in sports. For sports journalists covering today's myriad of issues - from steroid use, to heat-related deaths and use of drugs - being aware of legal terms is essential. Toward the end of Chapter 2, there is a discussion on "libel" - or written defamation of a person - also cover invasion of privacy. On a short comment on this blog, review that part of Chapter 2. Be able to explain:
(1) What is libel?
(2) How do you define the publication requirement of this law?
(3) How does a person prove he or she was a victim of libel?
(4) What is the only absolute defense of libel for a journalist?
(5) What is "qualified privilege"?
(6) What is "malice"?
(7) What is "neutral reporting" and how does this impact libel suits?
(8) How does "current newsworthiness" impact a complaint about "invasion or privacy"?
Please email your comments to me by Feb. 27.
Assignment 5: This is a blog assignment on this post. Please answer question 4 on page 41. Place your answer on the comment section of this post. Make sure you identify yourself. You are allowed to banter with your fellow classmates on this issue. In other words, if Jaime makes a comment, Shaun in SA or Mark in Kingsville can post their own version and challenge Jaime's statement. This is only an example.....okay? Good luck.